Developing safety habits is the best way to reduce your risk and make sure you are prepared for any emergency.
Look! Assess your surroundings!
- What hazards are readily apparent?
- Identify potential hazards.
- Recognize “out of the ordinary”
Have a plan – How will you respond?
- “What if”______ happens?
- What will you do?
- Where should you go?
Make a conscious effort to do these things every time you enter a new environment.
Have an emergency preparedness kit!
- Acquire necessary items to sustain yourself (food, water, medications, identification, money, telephone, etc.).
- Learn more about emergency preparedness kits at www.ready.gov and www.whatstheplan.org
Being prepared will enable you to have an effective response!
In an emergency situation, follow these steps:
- Step One: Make yourself safe – or you can be of no further benefit to anyone else.
- Step Two: Warn others of the situation
- Step Three: Call 911 assistance – Do Not Assume someone else will
For further information please contact the UNM Office of Emergency Management.